Monday, November 24, 2008

Meh.

Collins dictionaries has officially given the expression "meh" status as a word. In case you've been under a rock, "meh" is used to express indifference, it qualifies a topic as "boring," "mediocre," or "uneventful." It is fairly flexible and most commonly used by youth.

This is just one example of the evolution of the English language; new words and expressions are added, older ones fade away. In the age of the internet, all kinds of new terms are being coined. The popular search engine, Google, has its own verb: "googling." From MSN, many acronyms have been birthed, such as "omg," "lol," or "rofl."

Is this a deterioration of the language, or is it just adaptation? You be the judge. I'm not sure, personally. I am a Shakespeare nut. I do believe in preserving the quality of our language, but some amount of change is inevitable. And fine to an extent.

"Meh" in the news:

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=f216bac2-8f0b-4202-a1ae-8f7ed4de2bd7

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2008/11/17/quot-meh-quot-is-the-new-quot-whatever-quot-will-quot-teh-quot-be-the-new-quot-the-quot.aspx

3 comments:

  1. my mother nearly killed me in my mid-teens when I said this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did my heart love till now? Meh.

    At this rate, who knows what words will be included in the English language by the time we feel old and wonder what all those darned kids are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I makes it more exciting when there are new words...

    ReplyDelete