Saturday, November 8, 2008

Low Expectations

There is a new rule being imposed by the Board on high school teachers: they are no longer allowed to penalize for late assignments. Students can now ignore deadlines and not lose marks for it.

Why this was decided, I have no idea. Of course we can all understand that there are extenuating circumstances that can sometimes make it difficult for deadlines to be met. Personal matters, outside obligations, too much homework from various classes can all be causes for stress in a student's life.

I have always known teachers to be very understanding and forgiving in such situations. If you are typically an honest student who makes the most of your education (note: I don't put any emphasis on academic excellence), teachers are willing to cut you some slack when you need it. If you ask beforehand, most will give extensions or find alternate options. Everybody is human. We have limits.

I believe that beyond just skill and regular curriculum, high school is a place to learn about ethic and accountability. It can be the four years of your life that shape who you will be the most. If you are going to grow into a person of integrity, your habits will begin to be developed now.

Under this new rule, there is no accountability for laziness. I have already seen its effects in the classroom. The whole class can be held back because of too many late assignments. The teachers are not able to get assignments graded as quickly, so they will hold off on the next project so as not to get too backed up on marking.

This mind frame being built is going to hold students back later in life, whether in post-secondary education or in the workforce. In the real world, deadlines are not to be taken lightly. I recently had a teacher exclaim to the class, "If you were employees, I'd have fired most of you by now!" She would have had reason, too.

I should also mention the flip side of this rule: teachers are, however, allowed to tell a student that they do not have time to mark their late work, which will result in a zero. I hope they use this when appropriate... I fear them too compassionate.


And to those who were wondering, yes, the title is a reference to Great Expectations.

1 comment:

  1. This policy will KILL you when you get to university! Don't hand an assignment in? Automatic zero unless you've got a death certificate (not a photocopy- the real thing!), a doctors note, or a psychiatrist's note! What a shock that's going to be when you suddenly realize that you can't just sit back and allow deadlines to pass...

    Says I as I sit in my apartment with nothing to do because my profs are on strike...

    ReplyDelete