Saturday, November 29, 2008

Me, Myself, and I

What do "iPod," "MySpace," and "YouTube" all have in common?
I mean, besides that they are all modern obsessions. Look at the words themselves.

Here, let me help you out:
iPod
MySpace
YouTube

Hopefully you caught it that time.

So here's my concern: Why is our culture so self-centered? Why is it all about us? Am I the only one who sees danger in this way of thinking?

I'm not saying that there are any moral issues with those products themselves. I adore my iPod. They're just exemplary of how deeply ingrained this way of thinking is.

What I do worry about is how this mindset will affect us. First off, I think it's a false mentality. The world does not revolve around you. Sorry to burst your bubble. The are billions of other people who are just as important as you. And know what? You couldn't live without them.

Our culture promotes independence and self-sufficiency like it's going out of style. Frankly, I wish it would. People are dependant on each other. And it's a good thing!

Think of everything that goes into keeping up just your house. Electricity, heating, plumbing, the building itself. I highly doubt you could have even built it all on your own, forget fixing everything.

Even if you did build your house, where'd you get all the materials? Other people!

We need to start treating others with the mindset that they are important to us. The media will always play on our selfishness, because it will trigger our greed. We need to fight it with our attitudes.

So thank you. I need you.

No comments:

Post a Comment