Monday, March 28, 2011

Bible Study

A lot of people have issues with the Bible. A lot of these people even belong to churches. It's a big book, full of challenging and life-changing words. Some people like to look through it, and while they have a very easy time accepting parts like loving our neighbour, they aren't as willing to accept other parts of the very same work.

But if one considers the Bible untrustworthy in some places, why is there any basis to believe that any part of it at all is trustworthy?

That's kind of how I see the issue. I kind of think that the Bible is take-it-or-leave it, with no "create your own" option. Personally, I've decided to take it, but that doesn't mean that I automatically understand everything written in it. It just means that I'm trying.

I compare Bible study to something I learned in horseback riding. In riding, there is a saying that goes as follows:

"If your horse says no, you either asked the question wrong, or asked the wrong question." (Referring to moments when your horse may not do exactly as you think you've asked him or her)

Bible study is similar, because I've found that every time I felt I had found error, the error was not in the text itself, but in the way I was framing things. In Bible study, we need to learn to ask the right questions, the right way, and be humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment