Monday, January 5, 2009

The World in Your Pocket

Recently I have been cell phone shopping. I already have a phone, but it's about three years old, and I'm beginning to feel slightly outdated with all the new gadgetry out. Not to mention Rogers Pay-As-You-Go is only cheap if you pretty much NEVER have your phone on.

I used to keep it under $15 a month quite easily... when I was pretty much stranded at my farm anyway. Now, I'm finding myself out and about in the city a lot, with an amazing boyfriend from another school I try to keep in contact with, and it's getting more pricey.

I've found little hidden costs in my own plan. I've kept it very basic, no voicemail or anything. just calls and text, and it's free to receive texts. But I get charged 30 cents for every missed call (so don't call me, guys! Text me and I'll reach you!), among other arbitrary means of stealing my money.

Three other members of my family also need phones soon, so we've even considered family plans. Yeah, um, don't bother. They are no cheaper. Plans are advertised as low as $15... before caller ID, voicemail, and other features. I've lived without voicemail alright up to this point, and I suppose I could keep it up, but I love my caller ID. Many plans won't give you that without an extra $6 a month.

ALL the companies are like this. (Yes, guys, hate to break it to you, even Koodo. They're not so bad, but have you figured out yet that their whole Tab thing really is just another contract?) I've found nothing that would serve me for under $35 a month yet. Not to mention buying the phone itself.

Why can they hike their prices like this?

Because they know we'll take it.

We are all growing extremely dependent on technology and the internet. We'll put up with the cell phone fees and the internet packages because we need them. Or so we've convinced ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, I was in the same situation as you. I did get Koodo. Yes, I know there is the tab (I bought their samsung for $25 and had a $50 tab), but if I want to leave I only owe $50 or less which is better than the $400+ with rogers and the others. I'm on the talk&text combo for $25. It's great, I get a 100 minutes to talk and unlimited texting plus evening and weekends call. No other fees and I get per second billing as well. Just last month I got call display. It was only $5 and my bill a month is still just $30. So far it's been great! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete